Thursday, June 11, 2015

Soylent - a love haiku

Soylent (or Schmoylent)
You have so improved my life
Thank you sandy drink!



I can't believe it's only been 23 days. I've had about 30 meals of Soylent (or Schmoylent), including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

I've eaten it almost every single day I've been at work for the last 3 weeks, mostly for breakfast, sometimes for lunch instead, occasionally for both. I ate it for dinner when I was running late to the theater and didn't have time for anything else. I had it as a late night snack with friends. I've eaten it on the weekend for breakfast and for lunch. I've gotten one friend to order it.

Today I am drinking Schmoylent with MCT oil. It's sludgy and gritty and really awful, but I FEEL good drinking it. I no longer have pangs of desire when I am consuming soylent and watching other people eat anything else. I vastly prefer Soylent 1.4, but I have Schmoylent to use up and I hate wasting things. Also, buying vanilla was a mistake. The oatey/ricey flavor of the real Soylent is just calming and reminiscent of food without being in your face as "flavored nutrient drink!"

Yesterday Eric looked at my Soylent breakfast and actually said "I'm jealous!" So I bought him his very own blender bottle and mixed up his first Soylent breakfast today! I will let him get use to Soylent before I have him start helping me use up the Schmoylent.


I've had a lot of people ask me "Why?" A few reasons. (Most of these answers refer to any of the drinks I've tried)

1. Sugar. Sure, I could do carnation instant breakfast, or chocolate protein shakes. Those are great, and things I've sworn by in the past, but they are LOADED with sugar. If I start my day with something sweet, I consume sugar all day. I am a sugar addict. I don't deny myself sugar all the time, but if i can make it to 2-3pm without eating any, I feel way better.

2. Feeling Full. It's really really easy to make myself uncomfortably full with the Soylent. Now, that may sound like a fault and not a feature... but I am super great at stopping eating when I am full. Same is true with the Soylent. I tend to consume a bottle over about half an hour, so I've got time to stop eating when I'm full. Part of that is because I make myself a full 28oz with a meal's worth of the powder (100-115g). That's just a lot of thick liquid to drink. The chocolate protein shakes I use to drink were 12oz and that was it. I was full for a couple of hours, but then I'd be hungry again. Also, with Soylent, I can dial in how many calories I want. I can have a 100g day, or a 125g day.

3. Powder + Water. Which leads me to my next point. It's SO EASY. I already had a kitchen scale (that almost never got used, it does now!). I bought a blender bottle and some powder. That's it. Ok, the older stuff needed some oil, but I had MCT oil from a previous nutrition experiment that needed using up. And with the new Soylent, I can leave some at work, ready for consuming on days that I need to work through lunch, or have to unexpectedly stay later than restaurants around here are open. Steps to make Soylent: Add some water to the bottle. Add desired amount of powder. Add the rest of the water (I make it thinner now than I did in the early days of this). Shake to mix. Consume.


Truly though, this kind of food means that I eat 3 meals a day, reliably, without stress, and I feel good doing it. I'm actually probably more nutritionally balanced now than I ever have been in my life, and I eat pretty healthy on a regular basis.

I've already converted Eric... who is next?

P.S. I'm really excited Eric is helping me finish off the Schmoylent and the Soylent 1.4.... I can't wait to try Soylent 1.5. Also, we totally live in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting to see... I think I love food too much to give it up, but definitely see the appeal!

    Some interesting reads you might appreciate: http://blog.longreads.com/2015/06/17/chewing-we-hardly-knew-ye-a-soylent-reading-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reading list! I will say that after trying 3 versions of this powdered food at this point, Soylent is making serious progress with their new formulas. I'm still on version 1.4, but I've got some 1.5 now. It's so vastly improved it's hard to describe. The taste and texture have become really enjoyable, where in the first varieties I tried, it was just passable.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete